Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Bring on Natural Egg Dyeing!



My family is European and Easter is a huge celebration, with Easter egg decorating taking up a whole day and kitchen! My dad and I used to sit at our kitchen table and paint eggs while my mum made cakes and other yummy things for Easter. One of the things we would always do was to dye eggs using onion skins, I thought I would post the instructions for you all to try at home. For those of you who are coming to my place this Sunday, we'll be doing this, bring as many onion skins as you can!

What you will need:

Vinegar
Raw eggs
Cloth squares (8 inches)
Rubber Bands
Pot of boiling water
Salt

and Onion skins of course....

1. Wet the onion skins and cloth squares, onion skins are fragile when dry so be careeful to keep the pieces as large as possible.


2. Wrap onion skins around the raw eggs covering the entire egg. Wrap the covered egg with the cloth tightly, then secure with the rubber band.

2. Lower the wrapped egg into a boiling mixture of 1 quart water and 2 tablespoons of vinegar and salt. Boil for 20 minutes.

3. Remove eggs and let cool (you can run cold water over them to cool them down). Unwrap cloth and onion skins. Oil the eggs to give them a shiny finish.

Alternatives include Tumeric dyeing, coffee and Red Cabbage dyeing, check them out HERE!

Happy Easter Egg decorating!

No comments:

Post a Comment