Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Bring on Thanksgiving!!


I put this picture in as my friend Arna always writes "Happy Turkey Day" on her FB status for Thanksgiving, it reminds me of her :)

Now that Halloween has passed, and we are already half way through Movember, it's time to plan for Thanksgiving. I have been doing a lot of browsing on the web for good table decorating ideas because, let's face it, we're just going to be sitting around a table with our family eating and drinking, right?

The traditional decorations seem to be all based around the turkey, pumpkin, and fall leaves. However, this year I loved the idea from Martha's website of using squirrel decorations, like these fabulous squirrel favours

When I was a child, one of my favourite toys was a wind-up squirrel that would walk forwards while holding an acorn which it moved towards and away from its mouth. The acorn never quite reached the squirrel's mouth, so I would watch this thing for hours, anxiously waiting for the acorn to fully reach its mouth and for the squirrel to take a bite (did I mention I was very young?). Anyway, from that point onwards I have loved acorns, so I thought this year that my decorating theme for Thanksgiving should be acorns.

So in search of acorn related decorations I fist consulted Martha's website, who did not disappoint, and offered these acorn napkin rings

Tools and Materials
Acorn caps and nuts
22-gauge wire, cut into two 16-inch pieces
Floral tape
Seam binding
Drill
Wood glue

Making an Acorn Napkin Ring
1. Drill two holes through two acorn caps, one on either side of the stem. Starting on the outside of the acorn cap, insert one end of a wire length through a hole, then back through the opposite hole. Twist wire together. Repeat with second acorn and length of wire. 2. Glue nuts to caps with wood glue and wrap one wire with floral tape. Repeat for the other wire. Hold both wires together so the acorns are facing opposite directions. Wrap together with tape. Wrap again with seam binding, using a dab of glue to hold the binding in place. Bend into a ring to form napkin holder.

Martha, as always, will come up with a unique idea for every topic, so when I saw these acorn lights I was very excited! Click the link to get the how-to, I'm definitely trying this one!

If you like to be super coordinated then you may want to have acorn-related food dishes. Since I cannot imagine eating an acorn, I think this recipe for Acorn Squash with Rosemary is perfect, it looks delicious, and is very much a Thanksgiving food!

Now, if you you want your food to be shaped like an acorn then this acorn shaped cake will be perfect! I love the fact that it is covered in chocolate and lollies (candy, to my American friends)!
For name plates you can use various coloured papers to cut out acorn tops and bottoms (from Danielle's place) and glue them together for some acorn name plates :)

Enjoy your Thanksgiving, we'll be in the mountains of Georgia...bring on fall colours!

No comments:

Post a Comment